Moko-Young's Factoid Firefly album on Photobucket

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Current Process in Designing a Character! - Part Two:

This is Part 2 of my blog post about character design!
In this post I'll show you how I've applied some of my tips!

Part One Can Be Found Here!


Lets continue!

Here is my Character Benoni; His name means "Sorrowful".
I picked this name because when he was a younger Scarecrow some sad and traumatic things happened to him and now he's angry and bitter. - I picked first the name "Papa Crow" because he's the oldest scarecrow on the farm he lives on, but then I got more in to designing him and he's better fit as "Benoni" because of his history the name fits better.

Next after some sketches on paper I drew this chart in GIMP:


A few days later I made this "loose" Expressions chart; Then I colored in the chart using MyPaint and GIMP.


See how the chart helped me in the coloring? I forgot to add the stitches around his face, but then I looked at the chart and remembered! Oh wait! I forgot! The coloring also added depth that a chart can't. And, I added symbolism! The Blue buttons represent sadness to go with the name "Sorrow".
And what makes him different from other scarecrows? Well, he's got a hat with 3 different colored leaves, his button eyes have the holes pointing inward to almost make him look cross-eyed and his hay-hair tuft in the middle makes him look a bit unique.

Bigger Version

To be more exploring I tried coloring in another style which is more cartoon like, I think this one looks better even if I like the coloring of the first version!


Here is the 3 styles I tried trying to find the best representation; Non hard-lined, Outlined, and Cartoon. - I've been given the most support for the 3rd, and after a bit of vacation from this character I'm starting to prefer that version as well.

Bigger Version



I've written and extensive history on this Character but I'm not going to get in to it, but his history reflects a bit in his look. I haven't gotten to his body so I'll show another character for that.

Okay, lets meet Paisley the Bengal Tiger!

Her name is to represent her use, she's meant to represent the Middle-East, and Paisleys are common around the Indian areas of Asia, her clothes are inspired from the colors and designs of middle-eastern dress, more namely in South Asia; Her hair also to show the beauty of the fashion of that area, and of course, she's a Bengal tiger! Quite prominent not only on Bangladesh but also in India and other countries in that area.





Notice how I purposly made her have a very fluid pose, and happy expression.
She's instantly likeable! ( I hope!)

Bigger Version

Now look at this figure I drew a few years ago, she's a dancer so she should be very "curvy" in her figure because of the occupation and pose of her body. - But instead, she's kinda tense looking.

Bigger Version





So in the end for my method we have to:


  1. Brainstorm And Create!
  2. Name The Character!
  3. Give the Character a Personality!
  4. Draw out Emotions!
  5. Get a method to help redraw the characters!
  6. Color! 
  7. Keep Figures Fluid and Alive!


I hope these posts were helpful! Feel free to ask questions if I didn't make something clear.

Now get out there and design a character!


May God Bless You, Your Family, Friend; Along With The Health Of Yourself, Family, Friends, And All Who Know You. ~ Amen



~ Firefly




Useful Links:

Would You Like To Read More Blog Posts Similar To This One? Take A Look At The Official Blog Archive.
Would You Like To See My Drawings? Click here.

Have A Question?
Ask The Firefly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please when commenting take note of the "Posting Guidelines" page listed on the top of this blog. This insures that your comment will be seen by others and not just me when I'm doing comment moderation. Have a nice day! :D